Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Keep your footing.


Anybody who has been alive longer than a millisecond knows that life can veer in any direction in the blink of an eye without warning. 

There you are, minding your own business, 
and you turn the corner and stumble upon a loved one you haven't hugged in months.
You scratch off that one last silver square on a winning lottery ticket. 
You open a large envelope and unfold the paper to read "Congratulations...".
Your car smashes into a concrete median on the highway. 
Your significant other looks you in the eye and says "I think we should break it off." 

You wake up to a family member on the phone telling you that the person closest to you just passed away. 

Ever since that phone call, I've been paranoid about when I'll hear my phone ring again and what the person on the other end has to say. It's made me more appreciative of the moments I am surrounded by people that care; the moments when I'm positive that they are okay and smiling. It has helped me brace myself for the best and the worst, and it caused me to grow up a lot.

Good or bad, the unexpected can knock anyone off his or her feet. I guess all I can say is keep your footing. You're not alone.


3 comments:

  1. "I will lift my eyes to the hills and their Creator, who made all heaven and earth. For He who watches me will not sleep, no never slumbers. He's ever over me." (lyrics of praise song we used to sing in Church in MA).
    I find great comfort in knowing that God is never caught off-guard... anything that happens to us is sifted through His fingers first... and whatever He allows, He will give the grace to make it through... even when we lose our footing... even when it's hard to put one foot in front of the other, we can be secure knowing He never slumbers or sleeps. Psalm 121:1-4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking...?