Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Happy One Year in Heaven.


      I went to a restaurant with some friends today. I was broke and not very hungry so I didn't order anything. I was also irritatingly chilly, so I held the tealight candle that was at the center of the table. For a good ten minutes, I just cupped the little flame in my hands and stared. As I watched it, I thought about how candles and humans are alike in how they come to an end. It's easy to tell when a candle is about to disappear into a curl of smoke; the wick gets tiny and surrounded with melted wax, the flame grows bluer, shorter, and flickers. Humans develop wrinkles, grey hair, and hunched shoulders. They both reveal tell-tale signs that they've been shining for a long time and may soon dim.
      However, both can disappear without a moment's notice. Candles fade with the gentlest breeze or sizzle out with a single stray drop of rain. We as humans are just as fragile, being taken away with one mutated cell or one misstep on a busy street.

      My mom was a glowing, beautiful light. She was the strongest human being I had ever met. But one day, a drop of rain took her away from me, and she was gently lifted to the sky as a delicate swirl of smoke. She's been up there for one year today. I love you, mom. I am happy that you are finally burning brighter than ever, where there is no danger, no illness, and no rain.
Happy One Year in Heaven.

6 comments:

  1. O My God,awh, not in vain of coarse was this said, but actually speaking to my Lord.Such raw emotion, authentic feeling with beauty and talent in choice of words which comes strictly from this "wee" heart-physical daughter to Jeff/Lori, daughter of the King of this universe,our God,and Saviour-Jesus. Thank you Lord I am blessed to have known Lori and will continue to see her in her beautiful daughters,inside and out! Amen

    I love being around others who can express their life,thier pain and their experiences all around them, some are more adjectively gifted,(the writers) although without competiton all words are heartfelt/just as beautifull. This is truely getting to know one, if the speaker is able to risk letting themselves come out! and this is all our heavenly father asks of us, to know us,to let Him in, to be vulnerable,it isnt always easy, but to be truthfull has its freeing power, to be, to heal, to peace, to find ... The truth will set us free....................anyway, Krista, this was beautifull.....♥ ♥ ♥....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I love you! Thank you. You always know what to say.

      Delete
  2. You're strong like her. Keep burning.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking...?