Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Gun Show.

      In my Special Effects Photography class this week, we did bullet photography. The setup is similar to the one we used for the splash photography, except instead of a broken laser beam triggering the flash, we used a sound-triggered system. Whenever the instructor shot his .22 caliber rifle at the subject, the microphone attached to the flash picked up the sound and illuminated the subject for one two-millionths of a second.  We spent four hours in the dark, hearing the gun go off and being splattered with the remnants of the subjects. I felt like we were killing people.

In high school, I went to an RIT open house. There were examples of student work in the presentations and on the walls. I saw a photo like this, and my mind was blown. I thought "It would be amazing if I could try something like that just once... just to see how it's done." As time went by, and I enrolled in RIT and took my normal photo classes, it drifted from my thoughts. Never did I think that I would have my own photo of a playing card ripped in half by a bullet to put my own copyright on. But it didn't stop there! I have a whole collection now. RIT really is a dream come true.


















3 comments:

  1. Thank you! It is one of the most unique-looking ones, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have some of these to hang in the house!!!!! Too cool!

      Delete

What are you thinking...?