Saturday, August 6, 2011

Somebody's everything.

      I went on vacation to Atlantic City, New Jersey with my dear friend Caity (mentioned in "Knock On Wood" and "A Day At the Lake"). We found much entertainment in visiting the bustling boardwalk, where people of all types traipsed alongside us. One particular evening, a homely, gangly middle aged man asked me if I could spare any change. I immediately reached into my camera bag where I kept my cash and pulled out all of my change plus two singles and placed it into his cupped hands. He grinned and asked me my name, to which I hesitantly obliged.
"Krista," he said, "I'll remember you."
      Two dollars and forty-some cents I gave to him. I'll never know for what he used it, and I can't say that I truly care. But two dollars and forty-some cents was his everything at that moment.
      His ocean-blue eyes locked with mine as he genuinely thanked me and complimented my hair. Then we began to go our separate ways.
"Merry Christmas!" he said and waved.
I waved back.
"Merry Christmas!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you thinking...?