Saturday, March 24, 2012

The eye of the beholder Part II.

      It turns out that my first self-portraits were not satisfactory. Using my most emotionally/personally successful photograph as a base, I created a series of self-portraits revolving around my struggle of starting an adult life without my mother by my side.

      These were the most difficult photographs I've ever taken, not technically, but emotionally. It took a lot to show myself like this. But like I've mentioned in previous posts, I deal with my emotions by throwing them into the world's eye. It makes them real. It makes me less numb. It lets me knock down the wall.

This is the original from the last set.

Nudity = vulnerability. 
Being poised on the outside doesn't mean being happy on the inside.

Philippians 1:3-4:
"I thank my God every time I remember you;
in all my prayers for you, I always pray with joy."
When I remember her, joy is the last thing on my mind.

I look at her face, and I feel disconnected from the world; I just fade, and nothing/no one can pull me back.

2 comments:

  1. I cant even begin to imagine the pain you have felt in the past year. Even though I have been by your side for most of the year, I only see the pain you let me see. I cant even begin to imagine the pain you hide and how it must build up inside you. Your are truly one of the strongest and most beautiful people I have even met. <3

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking...?